You have pierced our hearts with the arrow of Your love.

St. Augustine

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Prayers from the Confessions - Book 1

How should the God who made heaven and earth come into me? What am I to you that you should command me to love you?

For in truth, all good things are from you, O God. From you derives all manner of being, all existence, O God most beautiful, who endow all things with their beautiful form and by your governance direct them in their due order.

My faith calls calls upon you, Lord, this faith which is your gift to me, which you have breathed into me through the humanity of your Son, and the ministry of one of your preachers.

The house of my soul is too small for you to enter: make it more spacious by your coming.

O Lord my God, tell me what you are to me. Say to my soul, I am your salvation. Say it so that I can hear it. My heart is listening, Lord; open the ears of my heart and say to my soul, "I am your salvation". Let me run toward this voice and seize hold of you. Do not hide your face from me: let me die so that I may see it, for not to see it would be death to me indeed.

To whom but yourself can I cry, Cleanse me of my hidden sins, O Lord, and for those incurred through others pardon your servant?

Great are you, O Lord, and exceedingly worthy of praise; your power is immense, and your wisdom beyond reckoning. And so we humans, who are part of your creation, long to praise you -we, who carry our mortality about with us, carry the evidence of our sin, and with it the proof that you thwart the proud.

Hear my prayer, Lord. Let not my soul faint under your discipline, nor let me weary as I confess before you those acts of mercy by which you plucked me from all my evil ways. I long for you to grow sweeter to me than all those allurements I was pursuing. You have enabled me to love you with all my strength, and with passionate yearning grasp your hand, so that you may rescue me from every temptation until my life's end.

Translated by Maria Boulding, OSB

Posted by Carlos J. Medina

No comments: