You have pierced our hearts with the arrow of Your love.

St. Augustine

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Repentance

"You repent not by feeling bad, but by thinking differently" (Tony Gittins), and I would add, by loving differently. Often repentance is confused with feeling bad, with guilt. Repentance is liberating, and hence it must be distinguished from enslaving guilt. Perhaps we can pray with the poet:

"I need to know I am yours, Beloved,
To untangle my every alliance with Guilt.
When that cruel net casts itself,
it can cause even a great one
to live in sorrow and distress."

-Hafiz

Am I willing to examine my life in this light, and consider the possibility that I need to see things differently?

Name the wound.

In the face of human frailty, Jesus holds up the potential of redeemed humanity. How am I seeing others, especially those I do not like? What are my prejudices?

Jesus emptied himself in order to give us life. Is my life self-centered? Do I expect too much of others? How do those at my work, in my family, my community feel about me?

Jesus is called the King of Kings. What does my life has to do with bringing about that He reigns? Is he the King in my own life?

Feel and weep over the wound. That is strength, not weakness.

Seek the face of the Father. That is action and journey, not passivity.

Own and take responsibility for your life and behavior. Don't wait for warm feelings or miracles. Act as if. Do it. Go with it. Risk it.

Carlos J. Medina
(Words in Italics are from Richard Rohr, OFM in The Journey of the Wild Man)

No comments: