You have pierced our hearts with the arrow of Your love.

St. Augustine

Saturday, November 26, 2011

To Bless - A Heartfelt, Cosmological Invitation to Holiness

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

"Sun and moon, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

"Stars of heaven, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

"Every shower and dew, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

"All you winds, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

"Fire and heat, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

"Cold and chill, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever."

R. Give glory and eternal praise to God.

I’ve been taught since my childhood that God forgives me and heals me and blesses me. I have little trouble understanding - or at least appreciating the enormity and value of the grace that God bestows upon me…..but just what is it that I’m called to give back? To praise and exalt God above all forever? To give glory and eternal praise? These ideas – as difficult and impossible as they may seem at times – are at least understandable concepts that I can embrace as goals and ideals. But I’ve always been uncomfortable with the idea of me “blessing” God. What does my “blessing” of God really mean or do? Can the sun and the moon and the winds really bless the Lord? The mountains and the hills? I want to ask one of my Mexican brothers if he believes that cold and chill can really bless the Lord --- or even if they should? Is an icicle worthy to bless the Lord? Is a rock worthy to bless the Lord? Am I worthy to bless the Lord?

The meaning of the Hebrew word brk or Bahruuk (Blessing) seems to be a point of argument among many scholars. BUT whether the definition is understood in terms of benefits conveyed from one party to another or alternately as a form of praise and worship it is agreed that it always implies a favorable relationship… being in relationship!

I’m not sure that I’ll do this thought justice – but I heard that a certain theologian believes that any random planet may very well do a better job of praising God than we can do – that the planet is in fact fulfilling its purpose – it is doing just as God intended or is at least doing all it can do within the atmospheric variables it exists within at any given moment.

God’s creation blesses and praises and exalts God simply by being --- by being the very thing that God has created. Perhaps we have much to learn from the stars or even from the storm cloud that sometimes makes us unhappy. The storm cloud is what it is meant to be – a catalyst in creation – and as it does its part it’s not always as pleasant as the sun and the moon. Come to think of it - even the sun can be tough to live with on some days. We love the warmth...but sometimes it’s too hot in relation to our part of the earth. All of creation and its processes have what we would judge as its “good and bad days.” And we’re left uncomfortable.

Like a rock or a storm or a snow bank…. all I’m left with some days…...is just the ability to be. To do my work, complete my tasks and to remain in relationship – to live up to my vows in the best way that I can - when it’s difficult. --- to be content to just put one foot in front of the other for awhile. To act as one who believes the words that he prays each day and really trust that God will not abandon me if I honestly try to function at my highest level --- however little that may be for today! ---to give glory and eternal praise, to exalt------to be in relationship….to bless!

As Azariah prayed: “With contrite heart and humbled spirit let us be received…”

---

Reflection Given by Joe Murray, OSA, on November 23rd, at St. Augustine Friary in Chicago.

Posted by Carlos J. Medina, OSA

No comments: